Tax Controversy & Litigation
Criminal Defense - Tax
Juris Doctor (JD), with distinction, The University of Memphis
Tax Certificate, with honors, The University of Memphis
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Summa Cum Laude (4.0 GPA), The University of Memphis
Master of Science, Accounting, The University of Memphis
BBA (Accounting), Summa Cum Laude, The University of Memphis
Accelerator Program, Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
Selected for Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
Premier Tax Lawyers
CALI Award for Excellence in Partnership Taxation (2014)
Tyler DeWitt has extensive experience advocating on behalf of clients, including individuals, small businesses, corporations, and estates. Tyler focuses his practice on matters involving both federal and state tax controversy and litigation. Tyler regularly represents clients facing tax-related criminal charges and investigations, IRS collections (garnishments, levies, liens, IRS Revenue Officer enforcement), disputes in U.S. Tax Court, audits, tax debt settlements, international tax issues, back tax return filings, and certain state Sales & Use tax issues (both civil and criminal).
In addition to his practice, Tyler is a prolific speaker and regularly contributes his expertise as both an attorney and certified public accountant. Tyler also serves as an Adjunct Professor of Tax and contributes to continuing education courses for lawyers and accountants.
Prior to founding DeWitt Tax Law, Tyler was a Principal Attorney with a tax controversy law firm, served as a Tax Analyst for Federal Express, a Fortune 100 company, and as a legal extern for Judge Bernice Donald, Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
When he is not advocating for his clients, Tyler enjoys politics, the outdoors, football, basketball, hunting, fishing, and spending time with his family.
- Represented defendant in 31-count criminal tax evasion case. Resulted in pre-trial diversion, no jail time
- Represented individual taxpayers in reducing $1,000,000+ federal tax liabilities by nearly 90% under the IRS Offer in Compromise program
- Represented small businesses in resolving complex IRS audits with no additional tax owed
- Represented small business owner in U.S. Tax Court in reversing the IRS’ six-figure determination of liability based upon a complex Alternative Minimum Tax issue
- Represented individuals in securing releases of IRS bank levies and wage garnishments
- Represented individuals in defending against IRS “Trust Fund Recovery Penalty” investigation related to payroll tax liabilities
- Represented individuals with reaching compliance under both the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (“OVDP”) and the IRS Streamlined Disclosure Program
- Successfully appealed IRS termination of tax preparation firm’s electronic filing privileges
- Represented defendant tax preparation firm in an accounting malpractice lawsuit. The court granted a directed verdict in favor of the defendant
- Represented tax preparation firm in obtaining a confidential settlement of six-figure federal tax penalties
- Represented restaurant owner in reversing the Tennessee Department of Revenue’s proposed six-figure tax assessment under the Tennessee successor liability statute