About Tyler DeWitt
Tyler DeWitt has extensive experience advocating on behalf of clients, including individuals, small businesses, corporations, and estates. Tyler focuses his practice on matters involving both federal and state tax controversy, tax planning, and general civil litigation. In addition to his practice, Tyler is a prolific speaker and regularly contributes his expertise as both an attorney and certified public accountant.
Prior to founding DeWitt Law, Tyler was a Principal Attorney with Monypeny, DeWitt & Associates, served as a Tax Analyst for Federal Express, a Fortune 100 company, and as a legal extern for Judge Bernice Donald, Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. Tyler is a quadruple alumnus of the University of Memphis, where he served as President of the Student Government Association and successfully implemented the U.S.A. Today Collegiate Readership Program, among several other initiatives.
When he is not advocating for his clients, Tyler enjoys politics, the outdoors, University of Memphis football and basketball, hunting, fishing, and spending time with his family
- Attorney, Tennessee
- Attorney, Florida
- Certified Public Accountant, Tennessee
- Juris Doctor (JD), cum laude, The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
- Tax Certificate, with honors, The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Summa Cum Laude (4.0 GPA), The University of Memphis
- Master of Science, Accounting, The University of Memphis
- BBA (Accounting), Summa Cum Laude, The University of Memphis
- Accelerator Program, Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management
Professional Memberships & Awards
- CALI Award for Excellence in Partnership Taxation
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Memphis Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- TN Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Represented defendant in criminal tax evasion case
- Represented small business in resolving complex IRS audit with no additional tax owed
- Represented defendant tax preparation firm in an accounting malpractice lawsuit. The court granted a directed verdict in favor of the defendant
- Represented contractor in reducing a $250,000 federal tax liability by nearly 90% under the IRS Offer in Compromise program
- Represented individual in settling a multi-million-dollar federal tax liability through a nearly 90% reduction under the IRS Offer in Compromise program
- Represented multiple individuals with reaching compliance under both the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (“OVDP”) and the IRS Streamlined Disclosure Program
- Successfully appealed IRS termination of tax preparation firm’s electronic filing privileges
- Represented restaurant owner in reversing the Tennessee Department of Revenue’s proposed six-figure tax assessment under the Tennessee successor liability statute
- Represented small business owner in reversing the IRS’ six-figure determination of liability based upon a complex Alternative Minimum Tax issue
- Represented tax preparation firm in obtaining a confidential settlement of six-figure federal tax penalties
- Represented large gas station chain in significantly reducing or eliminating proposed TN sales tax assessments
JD, CPA, MBA, MS (Accounting)
On behalf of our team at DeWitt Law, welcome to our website! I hope you find the content on our site helpful. Over the years, I have come to realize that much of my clients’ stress from facing tax issues is caused by the sheer power our government possesses to assess and collect taxes, further compounded by the complexity of our tax code. Contacting a lawyer enables you to be advised of your rights and to begin the process of restoring peace of mind.
When you call our firm, you will have the opportunity to speak with a tax attorney for a free phone consultation. Once we determine the nature of your problem and whether we can help, we will schedule an in-person consultation where we will create a game plan to resolve your issue. Your case will be handled exclusively by an attorney, not a paralegal, Enrolled Agent, former IRS employee, CPA, or other non-lawyer.
I invite you to contact our firm if you are facing serious tax issues and need help. Regardless of whether you decide to hire DeWitt Law to represent you, I wish you the best in resolving your tax issues.